Once you begin to understand how light modifiers work, you can really have a lot of fun with them. What is a specialty light modifier that you can use to light a portrait? One light modifier you can use is flag. In this video, author Robert Vanelli demonstrates how to use diffusers to soften the light in your image.
- When I have too much light on a scene, what I want to do is tone that light down, and that's where a silk, or a diffuser, comes into play. Now silks like this are a little bit higher end than the regular diffusers. Now notice again you can see my hand through this. What this is going to do is going to allow the light to go through, and it's going to come out on the other end very soft, and it's going to spread it. So, on this particular scene here, I already have one set up on the C-stand here.
And we're going to take a couple shots, and I'm going to move the silk off to the side so you can see the different effects it has on the scene. Lets take a few shots. I'm going to focus, take my first shot. Oh, that looks good. Now what I want to do, is I want to move the silk just a touch, focus, take another shot. Great. Again, I'm going to move the silk, focus, and we'll take another shot.
Now let's do one more. Let's move it off to the side, focus, take a shot. Now, here's the shot without any diffusion, or without that flag. Notice how everything is blown out, and the shadows are very sharp. Let's look at the next shot. Notice the top right, how the light is softening coming into the scene. And as we kept moving it, again the shadows are softening up, all the way through, until we get to our final image.
So a diffusion, or a silk, what that's going to do for us, it's going to make the light come in nice and soft, it's going to make the shadows look very soft. So if we use harsh light, whether it's sunlight or the studio strobes, it's going to help us have a pleasing image.
- What is a lighting modifier?
- Technical and artistic benefits of lighting modifiers
- Using an umbrella to bounce light
- Lighting portraits with an umbrella
- Lighting a portrait with a softbox
- Shooting with a beauty dish
- Softening light with diffusers
- Adjusting color temperature using gels
- Lighting a portrait with a speedlight