Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Natural light and portraiture, part of Learning Natural Light Portrait Photography.
- As I mentioned in the welcome movie,…capturing a good portrait is hard…and because of that, it can be easy…to be lured into thinking…that we need to invest in expensive and elaborate lights…but it isn't necessarily true.…Over the last decade, I've built a career…out of using natural and available light…and my work has been shown in galleries,…it's been published in publications…like Rolling Stone magazine, Esquire, Surfing magazine…and others as well.…Now, the point is that this isn't about me…but it's about this idea that this can be done.…
Natural light is an amazing and beautiful light source…yet working with it requires that you develop…a keen understanding of what it is…so that you can learn how you can express with this light…in different ways…and that's exactly what we're going to talk about…in this chapter.…Alright, well, let's begin to develop our awareness…of what natural light is…and one way to begin to think about natural light…is in this way.…We can think about natural light…either as being direct or indirect.…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Natural Light Portraiturewith Douglas Kirkland34m 46s Appropriate for all
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Appropriate for all
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.