Digital asset management is important when you have a plethora of digital files that you need to keep organized. A way to keep them organized is by using naming conventions. How does you use them? In this video, Kevin Ames discusses how to use naming conventions to manage your digital assets.
- Naming conventions are dear to my heart.…And the reason they're dear to my heart…is because I've tried a couple…of different ways of naming things…and I've had to change.…And that's a painful, painful process.…One of the naming conventions I used to use…was date based.…And that worked to a certain degree…until the decade changed.…I mean, who knew I was going to be…in business more than nine years.…And then,…yeah,…the century and the millennium changed too.…
And who knew I was going to have…to manage the date system through that.…So all of the numbers changed.…And I kept several high school interns…busy changing file names and numbers…for a long time.…Until I came up with the idea…of using…serial numbers.…Next logical instance.…Version control is another…big issue with naming conventions.…And when I'm working with a client…and we're going back and forth.…Even though I'm using next logical instance…on a file that I photograph.…
I use version numbers to help know…which one they're talking about.…So for instance,…let's say I've done…
- What is in a hard drive?
- Formats for hard drives
- Using RAIDs for storing digital files
- Organizing assets
- Using digital asset management tools
- Connecting hard drives
- How often to backup
- Long-term backups
Skill Level Intermediate
Adobe Bridge CC: Tips, Tricks, and Techniqueswith Richard Harrington2h 42m Intermediate
Photo Management: Backup and Archivingwith Tim Grey53m 9s Intermediate
Raw & Log Video Production Workflowswith Richard Harrington4h 36m Intermediate
1. Understanding Hard Drives and Why They Fail
2. Formats for Hard Drives
3. Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives (RAID)
4. Organizing Data Workflow Strategies
5. Digital Asset Management Tools
6. Connecting Hard Drives
7. Backups Are Mandatory
Next steps1m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.