In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
- When you stop to think about it there are so many different types of photography but perhaps one of the most dynamic, fastest growing, challenging, rewarding and highest-income potential types of photography is people photography and that's what this course is about. In particular in this course we'll look at how we can capture more compelling and commercially viable portraits using natural and available light. Now, the trouble is that capturing a good portrait is hard.
Well, that's where this course comes in. In this course we'll show you how it can be done and we'll start off by talking about working with natural light. Here we'll look at how we can use natural light in many different ways in order to create a wide range of looks. We'll also talk about some camera craft essentials. We'll talk about some settings that you might want to use and how we can capture images with a shallow depth of field. We'll discuss things like how can we create better compositions and I'll share a few tips which will help you to compose your photographs in better ways.
We'll look at how we can work with people in order to build rapport and also pose and direct our subjects and we'll do a live demonstration shoot so that you can see some of these concepts put into practice as well. And then near the end of the course I'll share a few tips about how you can turn your passion into profit so that you can generate income from your portraiture. So, if you are a creative pro or aspiring to be one or just want to learn how you can capture better portraits, this course is the perfect fit.
Thanks for joining me. Let's begin.