Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Introduction, part of Learning Natural Light Portrait Photography.
- In this chapter we are going to transition…towards doing a demonstration shoot,…so that we can see in real time…how we might apply some of the topics…and techniques that we've learned so far in this course.…We'll be working with this location here,…which is a nondescript business park.…Sometimes as a portrait photographer…you aren't able to photograph your subjects…in a beautiful and wonderful location.…Sometimes you have to use what you have,…and that's where the creativity really comes in.…
So, we'll take a look at how we can…work with this location,…and we'll talk about a few topics like…working with different types of light,…how you can connect and direct with your subjects,…how you can work with posing…and go from good posing or bad posing to good posing,…I should say, and other things as well.…All right, so let's begin our demonstration shoot.…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Intermediate
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.