Aside from your equipment and modifiers on hand, there are other ways to get big lights as well. Many times, you can find big light just by walking around and paying attention to the world around you. In this video, author Levi Simm shows you what kinds of everyday things can help you create a big light for your portrait.
- Now, besides using tools like your reflectors…and flashes to make big light,…you could also find big light…when you're walkin' around town.…You'll see things like a big light colored building…reflecting the sunlight, especially in the afternoon…or in the earlier morning.…You'll find a white truck…or even just a white car reflects a lot of light…into your subject's face and can give you…a good portrait light just offhand wherever you are.…We can also find things like curtains in a window,…and curtains in a window are both good for reflecting light…or for shining through a diffuse, sheer curtain…will also give you diffuse light shining through it.…
Keep an eye out as you walk around town…and as you're just experiencing life,…and you're going to notice a lot of places…to find big, soft light.…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Exploring Photography: Finding the Perfect Portrait Lenswith Chris Orwig1h 20m Appropriate for all
Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Natural Light Portraiturewith Douglas Kirkland34m 46s Appropriate for all
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.