There are many different lighting setups and styles that you can create with just one light. What are these different lighting setups? How do you know which one is best for the portraits you are shooting? In this video, author Levi Sim walks you through how to create a portrait with deep contrast and a deep background with one light.
- With a single light, it's really easy…to make very moody and contrasty photographs.…They have a dramatic feel…and we can add a lot of feeling,…using this simple single light,…with bright highlights on the skin…and deep shadows right next to it.…To achieve this high-contrast,…you simply need to get your light closer to your subject.…Bringing the light closer to your subject…will also help you create a soft light…and that's very good because…when we're in close, we don't want to reveal…too much detail in the skin, it's a little unflattering.…
So the softer light will help ease the shadow transitions…across the skin and help everybody appear…to have a much better complexion…than they may have in real life.…This is rarely a one-and-done kind of situation,…you should shoot several times.…You should move your camera up and down…and side to side.…Have your subject turn toward the light,…have them turn away.…Once this light is set up, play with it,…experiment and do several different positions and poses…and just maximize what you've already created.…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Exploring Photography: Finding the Perfect Portrait Lenswith Chris Orwig1h 20m Appropriate for all
Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Natural Light Portraiturewith Douglas Kirkland34m 46s Appropriate for all
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.