Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Camera and lens considerations, part of Learning Natural Light Portrait Photography.
- In this movie I want to begin to share with you…a few thoughts about our gear, our cameras and lenses.…I also want to highlight a few essential camera settings…that you can use in order to capture great…natural light portraits.…All right, well first let's talk about…our gear a little bit.…Here on this table I have a number of…different types of cameras.…And when we start to think about our cameras,…whether it's an SLR, a mirrorless, or a small mirrorless…or even our phone, you want to think about your camera…as something that tends to last about three to five years.…
Your lenses, on the other hand, they tend to last…for much longer of a time.…In other words, I like to think of my camera bodies…kind of like a laptop computer.…You're going to have that laptop for maybe five years…and then I'll need to upgrade and move on to something else.…Camera bodies are, in a sense, built in the same way.…So what that means for us in regards to our gear…and portraiture is that when you're thinking about lenses,…typically it's worth the investment because you're…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning41m 2s Beginner
Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Natural Light Portraiturewith Douglas Kirkland34m 50s Appropriate for all
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Appropriate for all
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.