Join Steve Simon for an in-depth discussion in this video Photographing people engaged in activity in Union Square Park, part of Street Photography: Posed Portraiture.
- Well, as I continued to make my way around Union Square…I noticed a young artist doing his thing in plain sight,…had kind of a nice painting, so I thought, "Oh,…"that might be interesting", so I approached him.…That's really nice. - Thank you very much.…- I was wondering, I don't mean to interrupt, but…the sun's not gonna stay out there long, I thought…maybe I'd take a portrait of you,…is that possible? - Why not, yeah.…- Okay, cool. - Go for it.…- Thank you very much.…Would you mind posing with your painting?…- Oh sure, I mean, not a problem.…- I knew that an artist type would be maybe…a little more open to me, another artist,…trying to take their picture, and he was a super nice guy…so I tried to do a variety of shots and you know what?…It was kind of pedestrian, no disrespect to him of course.…
It's just, it wasn't kinda working out.…So I thought I'd try something different,…I noticed that the shadow created by someone…sort of in front of the painting was very distinct.…Maybe right here, if you stand right here…
- Breaking the ice with subjects
- Photographing people at work
- Posing subjects in a city park
- Photographing people on the move
- Photographing people in suits and uniforms