Join Seán Duggan for an in-depth discussion in this video Roadmap for the course, part of Landscape Photography: Night Landscape.
- So, I'm set up in my home base for the next few days in Borrego Springs in southern California. It's right next to the Anza Borrego Desert. Actually, it's in the middle of the Anza Borrego Desert, and I'm hoping for some cool locations to explore in the coming days. I certainly have a lot of good possibilities. In the desert here I've got the desert landscape. So, I've got lots of cool things with cactuses and desert roads and the mountains are pretty rugged here. There's going to be a full moon during the trip.
I'm hoping for some good night skies during the full moon. Then over to the east from here is the Salton Sea, which is a really strange landscape. Not your typical natural landscape. It started kind of as an accidental sea when a dike on the Colorado River broke in the early 1900s. Flooded this low-lying sink area. This was like below sea level, kind of like Death Valley. Flooded it and it took them two years to plug the dike. And after that there was this large lake left over.
In the 1950's and 60's it was this total vacation boom spot. There was marinas and water skiing and it was quite the happening place and then you know over the years a series of natural and ecological disasters caused the lake to get all briney and salty and basically now it's all gone except for some ruins. I'm hoping for some really cool shots of maybe some of the ruined marinas on the shore of the Salton Sea. In any case, there's a lot of really good possibilities for some traditional landscape photography and maybe some nontraditional landscape photography and I'm looking forward to getting out and finding some shots, exploring a bit.
I've got a little bit more work to do here inventorying my gear and once I finish with that I'll be ready to rock and roll.
- Finding compositions
- Exposing and focusing at night
- Creating an image with reflections
- Using long exposures to blur motion
- Painting with light
- Shooting with a full moon