Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Recording audio, part of Video for Photographers: 2 Filmmaking on Location.
- We talked about camera movement.…Now we need to talk about sound.…Those are the two main differences…between shooting stills and shooting video.…And sound, unfortunately,…is an extremely important subject.…Some people that it's over 50% of a movie.…All the budget, all the talent, all the acting,…script, editing, music, grading, all that…represents 50% of a movie, and sound, the other 50%.…
And you know what?…It's true, it's that important.…So, let's go over, let's do a quick overview…of the different microphones that we're using here on set.…The first one is this Shotgun mic, a Rode VideoMic…that we're using on our Camera B.…This is a GH4 with a 72,200, and we're using it…as our tight shot with a Shotgun mic.…We consider this scratch sound.…So, what that means is, it's not the main sound,…we might not even use it, but we are using…to record better sound than if we're using…the built-in microphone on the camera,…and we can use it also to sync all our footage…with the sound.…
So, it is important as a safety net,…
Join Emmy-winning filmmaker Eduardo Angel on set at a beautiful winery in Oregon, where he captures stills, video, and sound for a promotional clip. Witness all the steps, from concept to delivery, from the perspective of a two-man crew, traveling light and working with a limited budget—a situation most shooters encounter nowadays.
Eduardo covers topics such as location scouting, working with available light, and getting great interviews. He also shows his favorite gear and even shares tips on packing!
Make sure to watch Video for Photographers 01: Filmmaking Essentials to brush up on the key technical concepts.
- Establishing the best time of day to shoot
- Selecting and packing equipment
- Getting the right coverage
- Working with natural and artificial light
- Recording soundscapes
- Backing up your footage
- Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Lightroom
- Delivering the final video to your clients