Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Establishing and exterior shots, part of Video for Photographers 02: Filmmaking on Location.
- Based on our location scouring,…we determined that after 8 a.m.…all the way until 7 p.m.,…we have a lot of light outside…and some of it is pretty harsh.…It doesn't have any direction…or personality.…We are here very early in the morning…just to get the first sunlight,…the sunrise, and get some very interesting shots…with shadows and silhouettes and a lot of personality…to help us tell the story.…
This is really important.…We're establishing the place.…We're establishing the story.…Where is this happening?…This is not happening in Manhattan…or this is not happening in a forest.…It is very important to tell…not only the people that are on the story,…the characters, the winemaker and all the people…that we're going to see throughout the story,…but where is this taking place.…That's exactly what we're doing right now,…and we have about 15, 20 minutes…to get as many shots as possible.…The rest of the day,…since the light is not as ideal,…and even if, in terms of exposure, we can't control it,…it doesn't have the mood, the personality we want.…
Join Emmy-winning filmmaker Eduardo Angel on set at a beautiful winery in Oregon, where he captures stills, video, and sound for a promotional clip. Witness all the steps, from concept to delivery, from the perspective of a two-man crew, traveling light and working with a limited budget—a situation most shooters encounter nowadays.
Eduardo covers topics such as location scouting, working with available light, and getting great interviews. He also shows his favorite gear and even shares tips on packing!
Make sure to watch Video for Photographers 01: Filmmaking Essentials to brush up on the key technical concepts.
- Establishing the best time of day to shoot
- Selecting and packing equipment
- Getting the right coverage
- Working with natural and artificial light
- Recording soundscapes
- Backing up your footage
- Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Lightroom
- Delivering the final video to your clients