Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video The built-in AF-assist illuminator, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
As you've seen, the autofocus illuminator light will light up if the camera…is having trouble autofocusing.…This will throw some extra light into your scene, possibly create a little bit…of extra contrast, and help the D5100's autofocus system.…There will be times though when it's not appropriate to have this light light…up--maybe you are at a concert or in a museum or something.…You can disable it by going into the Autofocus section of the Custom Settings…menu, to Built-in Autofocus-assist illuminator, which defaults to being on. Just…turn it off, and now not matter what the conditions, your AF-assist illuminator…light will not fire.…
Obviously most of the time you want it on because it is a very handy thing…when you're working in low light.…So once you leave those conditions where you wanted it off, just be sure to turn…it back on so that you get autofocus working back the way you are used to.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.