Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a scene mode?, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
By now you should be comfortable with the idea that a mode on your camera is…simply a way of designating which decisions the camera will make for you and…which will be left up to you.…Scene modes are special modes that bias the camera's decision-making process so…that they're more appropriate for certain situations.…For example, a sports mode would bias the camera shutter speed choices toward…faster speeds for better motion-stopping power.…Scene modes can alter everything from shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to focus…and flash performance.…
Now they don't open up any special advanced features on the camera, but they can…make it easier to get good shots in the situations that they're designed for.…It's important to note that like auto mode, most scene modes won't let you…override some parameters.…Also, most scene modes force you to shoot JPEG files.…You won't be able to use RAW when using a scene mode.…Ideally you want to build up your skill level to the point where you can make…these decisions yourself, but for times when you need to quickly snap off some…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.