Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video What Program mode does, part of Canon Rebel T3i (600D and Kiss X5) Essential Training.
In Program mode the only decisions that the camera makes are Shutter Speed and…Aperture. Everything else, Auto Focus mode, Drive mode, Flash, White Balance,…ISO and lots more all of that can changed by you.…What's more through Program Shift and Exposure Compensation you can alter the…camera's initial shutter speed and aperture choices.…Program mode is probably where you will spend the bulk of your time shooting.…To switch to Program mode, I just go here to my mode Dial and change to the big…P. When I do that, if I have the guide feature on, it shows me the screen,…remember that's interruptible just by half-pressing the Shutter button.…
My Status display is very different here in Program mode than it was in Auto mode.…I get a lot more information.…First, I can see that I'm in Program mode.…I can see that my ISO is set to Auto.…I currently have no Exposure Compensation dialed in.…My Scene mode is set to Auto.…I am in Auto White Balance.…I have my Auto Lighting Optimizer on standard setting.…I am in One Shot Auto Focus mode, Burst mode or Drive mode, which means I'll get…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Will the lessons in this course work with the Canon T3 too?
A: The main differences between the Canon T3i and the T3 are some video capabilities. Other than that, and some minor menu differences, you should be able to use the lessons in this course with the T3 with no issues.
1. Getting to Know Your Canon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Using Drive Mode and the Self-Timer
7. Using the Exposure Control Options
8. Using More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
What is a scene mode?1m 8s
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Styles
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Functions
15. Caring for Your Camera
Firmware updates1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.