We've already seen the D5100's self-timer, which makes it easier to get yourself…into a shot or to get your hands off the camera when you're worried about camera shake.…You can modify the self-timer though.…If you go into Custom Settings, into the Timers/AE lock section, and go down to…Self-timer, you get two options.…You can change the delay from when you press the button and when the picture is…actually taken--now of course this is only when the self-timer is activated.…By default, it's ten seconds.…I can bump it down to five seconds or two seconds, or all the way up to twenty.…
Obviously, twenty seconds gives me a lot more time to get into frame and get ready.…Two seconds is not so much for self-portraits as it is for helping to…reduce camera shake.…With a two-second delay, I press the shutter button and then only two seconds…elapse before the picture is taken.…That's enough time for the camera to stop vibrating if my hand has…introduced any camera shake.…I can also tell it how many shots I wanted to take when it finally fires the…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.