Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting a picture control, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
By default, your 5100 is configured to use this standard picture control.…This is where you are going to leave it most of the time.…It gives you very balanced results for most situations, but if I want to change…it, I can hit the Information Edit button, the big i on the back of the back of…the camera, and navigate over to Set Picture Control and hit OK.…And now I get a little scrolling menu with a nice thumbnail preview of what each…picture control is going to do. So I can go from Standard to Neutral, which is…going to apply very minimal processing. The idea is that you are going to get a…more natural-looking picture, possibly more color accuracy.…
Next, I have Vivid, which is going to amp up saturation, possibly even amp up some contrast.…It's going to make really bright primary colors and give you kind of a glossy photo look.…I have Monochrome, which is going to give me a somewhat traditional-looking…black-and-white picture.…I have Portrait, which is going to try to improve skin tones and texture…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.