Join Rob Sheppard for an in-depth discussion in this video Recording with external audio gear, part of Video for Photographers: Shooting with a DSLR.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
I want to talk now about some advanced techniques for audio.…Now I want to be clear that you don't need this as you get started but you may…hear or read about it and wonder what's going on.…Well, one challenge to audio comes from something called AGC or automatic gain control.…And what it's doing is it is recording your sound at a certain level.…But like all automatic things is that when you shoot automatic that doesn't…always give you the best results.…Same thing for recording sound, and sometimes this will give the wrong level of…sound being recorded.…
Unfortunately most cameras do not allow you to turn off AGC or to control how…loud or soft you record audio.…One way around this is to use a separate recorder such as this Zoom H4n,…a popular recorder among video pros.…Now you simply plug your mic into this recorder and set the levels as to how…loud you're recording.…In addition, you can use headphones to monitor the signal as you're recording…and as you're setting it up.…
A recorder like this also allows longer recording times than you can get from a…
- Understanding video resolution and frame rates
- Comparing DSLRs and camcorders
- Choosing equipment, from tripods to memory cards to lights
- Achieving the right exposure
- Working with shutter speed limitations
- Setting white balance
- Recording better audio with an external microphone
- Incorporating movement and storytelling into video
- Preparing for video editing
Skill Level Beginner
1. Differences Between Photography and Video
Choosing a video frame rate3m 17s
2. Gearing Up
3. Hands-On Shooting: Switching to Video
4. Sound Issues
5. Hands-On Shooting: Refining Your Video Techniques
6. Preparing for the Edit
Preparing for the edit7m 13s
Stay focused1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.