Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Picture controls defined, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
When you shoot in JPEG mode, the computer inside your camera has a lot of things to do.…It reads the raw data off of the image sensor, it converts that into a color…image, then it has to apply your white balance settings, sharpen your image, and…then finally compress it into a JPEG file.…Along the way, it also possibly performs some image-editing operations--maybe…changes the saturation and contrast.…Picture controls are collections of those image-editing operations that can be…applied to JPEG images when you shoot.…Your camera comes with a selection of picture controls that are tailored…toward specific subject matter. For example, the portrait picture control will…apply color corrections and contrast adjustments that will make skin tones look better.…
If you're shooting RAW, picture controls have no effect on your image because no…image processing takes place on RAW files inside your camera;…however, if you select a picture control other than standard, a tag is set in your RAW file.…If you then open that RAW file with Nikon's image-editing software, it will…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.