Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Modifying a picture control, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
For the situations they are designed for, picture controls can definitely give…you nicer-looking results. For example, shooting a landscape with the Landscape…picture control can definitely give you a better final image than shooting it…with the Standard picture control.…If you don't like the results though, you might be able to improve things by…modifying your picture controls.…If I go here into the menu, to the Set Picture Control option, and choose one…of my picture controls--like let's just go ahead and go with Landscape--and hit the right arrow,…I get into my adjustment control here.…
I can change sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation, and hue of the picture control.…All I do is go down here, and let's say I want landscapes with more contrast in…them. I can select that one and just dial contrast up and down.…So this is a way that I can modify the existing picture controls.…If I want, I can hit the Reset button to restore to original picture control…settings or just hit OK to take that, and now my Landscape picture control is…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.