Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Metering revisited, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
As you've seen, when you half-press the shutter button, the camera…autofocuses, meters, and possibly calculates white balance and ISO, depending…on your camera's settings.…When the camera has decided on all of these parameters,…it beeps and flashes a light in the viewfinder.…If you want, you can continue to hold the button down at the halfway point…while you reframe your shot.…This is sometimes necessary to get the focus and metering that you want.…Once you're ready to take the shot, you can press the button the rest of the way.…So I half-press the shutter button, and there is a halfway point that I can feel…right there, and you hear the camera beep, which indicates that it has…successfully focused and metered, and now I'm ready to take the picture by…pressing the button the rest of the way.…
Notice also the screen went blank so that it's not shining in my eyes while I'm…looking through the viewfinder.…If I was looking through the viewfinder, I would see the shutter speed…and aperture displayed.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.