Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Metering modes, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Accurate metering is critical to getting good results from your camera.…Fortunately, metering technology is now so good that your camera should yield…correct exposure 80 to 90 percent of the time.…To help ensure that your metering results are good, your camera offers several…different metering modes.…Matrix metering divides your scene into a grid, meters each cell of the grid,…and then averages all of those results to come up with a single overall exposure setting.…The camera considers overall tonal distribution in the scene as well as…color and composition.…If you're using G or D series lenses, then it also factors in distances to…objects in your scene.…
Center-weight metering is like matrix, but more statistical weight is given…to the center of the frame when all of the various meterings are being averaged together.…Spot metering meters only a very small circle right in the middle of the frame,…one that covers approximately 2.5 percent of your viewfinder.…You'll use this for times when you're facing high dynamic range but you need to…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.