While I rely heavily on autofocus most of the time, there are still occasions…when I switch my camera over to manual.…For moving subjects, manual focus is sometimes faster than autofocus, for the…simple reason that as good as your autofocus system is, you are still…smarter than it is.…If you're in a situation where a moving object is traveling in a very…predictable way, then you might be able to track focus very smoothly as you wait…for the precise moment that you want to shoot.…Manual focus is also useful for times when autofocus doesn't lock, either…because your subject lacks contrast or because there's not light in the scene to focus.…
Of course, if there's not enough light for your camera to focus, then there may…not be enough for you to see either, but it's still worth a try.…Finally, I sometimes use autofocus and manual focus in combination if I'm…shooting the same subject over and over.…For example, if I am shooting a landscape in rapidly changing light, I'll frame…my shot in autofocus, then switch the camera to manual focus. As long as I…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Canon SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
Using white balance presets2m 28s
6. Using Drive Mode and the Self-Timer
7. Using Exposure Control Options
8. More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Styles
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Functions
15. Using Custom Functions
16. Caring for Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.