Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Long exposure noise reduction, part of Shooting with the Nikon D5100.
- View Offline
You should already be familiar with the noise that can occur in your images when…you shoot with a higher ISO,…but there's another type of noise that can show up anytime you're shutter speed…goes longer than one second.…At these longer shutter speeds, it's possible for pixels on your camera's image…sensor to get stuck turned on, and that can leave speckly patterns in your final image.…To combat this, your camera offers a special Long Exposure Noise Reduction…feature, which can help out any images shot with a longer exposure time.…By default, it's turned off.…
To activate Long Exposure Noise Reduction, go to your menu, into the Shooting…menu, and scroll down until you find Long exposure NR--that's Noise Reduction.…Just come in here and turn it on.…Long Exposure Noise Reduction will do a very good job of reducing noise in your…long-exposure images.…You may wonder then, why don't I just leave it on all time?…That's because it's going to increase the time it takes the camera to write…images out to the card.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Photography: Exposurewith Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.