Lighting with Flash: On Location, from Close Up to Portrait
In this installment of the Lighting with Flash series, photographer and Strobist publisher David Hobby visits a conservation center to photograph subjects small and large, demonstrating flash lighting techniques along the way. The course begins with a close-up shoot of a small frog—and with details on how to light close-ups and macros using a small softbox and a reflector made of crumpled aluminum foil. Next, David uses multiple strobes and umbrellas to transform a dark blacksmith shop into a warm backdrop for a portrait of a craftsman at work. In a bonus chapter, David discusses an approach for organizing photo meet-ups that have a purpose: leveraging the talents of multiple photographers to quickly create a set of photos for a worthy organization.
- Uncluttering the background of close-up shots
- Adding flash and refining exposure
- Setting up lighting for a portrait
- Organizing photo meet-ups that have a purpose
Setting the stage: Flash macro shoot
- So we're here today at the Howard County Conservancy, which is a very cool historic preservation site in Howard County, Maryland, and today we're going to be shooting "Sticky," who we think is a male. We're sure he's a great Tree frog, we think he's a male, and this is actually a kind of neat little macro-shoot, because we're going to progress through some of the problems that you might encounter doing something like this: go through available light, and then add some flash, and then make the flash better, and then progress this into a full-blown little mini studio right around Sticky, who we really are hoping is not going to move through this whole process.
But, he's pretty chill, he's got his Jabba the Hutt on today and let's see if we can get him to cooperate.
Lighting for Photographers: Flash Exposure Fundamentals170,677 Views
Lighting with Flash: Sports, from Action to Portraits78,514 Views
Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Studio Portraiture160,154 Views
Photo Assignment: Off-Camera Flash232,473 Views
Lighting for Photographers: Portraiture231,583 Views
The Practicing Photographer1,784,856 Views
Foundations of Photography: Exposure5,769,278 Views
Foundations of Photography: Composition3,634,210 Views
Foundations of Photography: Flash978,969 Views