Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Lens controls, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Your lens has a number of controls on it.…First of all, there's the zoom ring.…This is the one that zooms in and out.…It's got a number of markings on it that indicate the exact focal length…that you've dialed into.…It should have a focus ring.…This is for manually focusing.…It should also have an Auto-Manual focus switch. A is Auto Focus, M is Manual Focus.…It may have a switch labeled VR.…This is vibration reduction.…It helps you out in low-light situations or anytime that you have to have…a slow shutter speed.…
You'll most of the time want to keep that switched on.…Again, your lens may not have this, because not all Nikon lenses have…vibration reduction.…It's also a very good chance that your lens is not going to have these…controls in the same place.…The focus ring might be in a different place, the Manual Focus switch may be…in a different place.…If you're using an older Nikon lens, it may not have this switch at all, and you…may have a focus ring that has markings on it.…You can learn more about all of these different controls and how to use them in…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.