Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video How to use this course, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
I divide the teaching of photography into two major categories of…instruction: artistry and craft.…Artistry is the study of all that ephemeral stuff that goes into making a good photo:…learning to see, exploring your emotional response to a scene, and learning how…to translate that into the vocabulary of photography.…There is nothing magical about artistry;…it's an intellectual process that you can learn.…Craft skills are what you employ to realize your artistic ideas.…In the case of photography, craft skills are basically the button-pushing skills:…knowing how to focus, knowing how to configure your camera for particular types…of light, how to ensure that your image is bright enough, that you captured…motion the way that you want, and so on.…
In this course, we're going to be studying craft,…specifically the craft skills required to use your particular camera.…And in this course we'll be assuming a certain level of understanding of basic…photographic theory.…For example, in showing you how your camera's flexible program feature works,…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.