If you are used to shooting video with the video mode of a point-and-shoot…camera or with a video camera, then you are used to an autofocus that continuously…updates. The camera constantly refocuses to ensure that your subject stays in…focus, and it does that probably pretty quietly.…Your SLR doesn't work that way.…Your SLR has a much slower autofocus mechanism, so you don't get that continuous…really smooth updating of autofocus.…This means that usually what you will do is autofocus before you start rolling video.…Now my focus is locked.…
I can start rolling video. As long as my camera to subject distance doesn't…change--that is, as long as I don't move the camera in and out, as long as the…subject doesn't move in and out-- everything will stay in focus.…If things start moving around, life gets more complicated.…I've got a couple of options.…I can switch to manual focus and try to follow the action by changing the focus…ring of my camera. That can be a little tricky.…It takes practice to get good at following manually.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.