Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Flexible program, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
In Program mode, when you half-press the shutter button to meter, the camera…calculates an exposure and displays the resulting shutter speed an aperture,…but there are many reciprocal combinations of those exposure parameters that all…yield the same overall brightness.…Now this is all explained in Foundations of Photography: Exposure.…Flexible Program is a feature that allows you to automatically cycle through all…reciprocal combinations for any given metering.…With this feature, you can meter to get an exposure that gets you proper overall…brightness and then use flexible program to change to an exposure combination…that serves up that same overall brightness, but with the motion stopping or…depth of field that you want.…
Flexible Program is very easy to use.…First I meter and my camera comes up with an initial meter reading, in this…case 1/100th of a second at f5.…Now if I just start rotating my main dial, I get through to all the other…reciprocal combinations of exposures that yield the same brightness as…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.