Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Fill flash, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
People often think that the flash on their camera is only used when it's dark out,…but a dark scene is one of the times when you probably shouldn't use your flash.…The pop-up flash on your camera is really designed to provide extra fill light…when you're shooting in bright daylight.…If you've got a bad-back lighting situation or someone with a hat one, you…can use fill flash to fill in the darker shadowy areas of the scene to…produce more even exposure.…You've already seen how in auto mode the flash life pops up automatically.…If I'm in Program mode or Priority or a Manual mode then I can take…control of the flash myself and pop it up by hand by pressing the flash button over here.…
When I do that, I am automatically in Fill Flash mode, which is indicated by this icon here,…so I am ready to go for my normal fill-flash use.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.