Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Defining picture controls, part of Nikon D7000 Essential Training.
When you shoot in JPEG mode the computer inside your camera has a whole lot of things to do.…It reads the raw data off of the image sensor.…It converts that into a color image, and then it has to apply your white balance…settings, sharpen your image, and then finally compress it into a JPEG file.…Along the way, it also possibly performs some image editing operations.…maybe changes to saturation and contrast.…Picture controls are collections of those image editing operations that can be…applied to JPEG images when you shoot.…Your camera comes with a selection of picture controls that are tailored toward…specific subject matter.…
For example, the portrait picture control will apply color corrections and…contrast adjustments that will make skin tones look better.…If you're shooting raw, picture controls have no effect on your image, because…no image processing takes place on raw files inside your camera.…However, if you select a picture control other than standard, a tag is set in your raw file.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
Using white balance presets2m 11s
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Using the Exposure Control Options
8. More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Styles
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Modes
15. Using Custom Settings
16. Retouching Images
17. Caring for Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.