Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring and activating video, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Shooting video with your D5100 is very simple.…There is no dedicated video mode; instead you simply put the camera into live view.…Your live view screen activates just as it always would and when you are ready…to roll video, you just press the video button up here, right behind the shutter button.…I press and a couple of things happen.…I get my video-record light.…You'll also see that my screen has gone letterbox. That's because by default I am…shooting a 16x9 aspect ratio, but I have a 3:2 aspect ratio screen, so it has…to crop it like that.…Press it again and video stops recording.…
Now there are a few options that I can configure for video by going into…the menu. And here in my Shooting menu, way down at the bottom, I've got Movie settings,…so I am going to go in there. And I can choose Movie quality, and here I get a…big range of options.…I've got two sets of 1920x1080 options, so those are my pixel dimensions.…They are both thirty frames per second, but one is high quality and the other is normal.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Intermediate
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.