Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Camera and sensor cleaning, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Basic maintenance of your camera is pretty intuitive: don't drop it, don't…bang it into things.…If you want to clean it, use a dry cloth.…If you are going to store the camera for awhile, be sure to take the battery out of it.…You've already seen how the camera cleans its own sensor, but there are some…other built-in sensor-cleaning options.…If you do find that your images have a sensor-dust problem--and you will know…that because they'll have little spots on them--you can assume that your…built-in sensor cleaning has not done the job.…That doesn't mean that it still can't though, and you can have it work a…little bit harder by going here into the Setup menu and dialing your way down…to Clean image sensor.…
Open that up and you have the option to force the sensor cleaning mechanism to…run again. Just hit Clean now and it'll go through its cleaning cycle. Then…you can test again to see if you've still got your sensor-dust problem.…You can also configure the automatic cleaning.…In this menu, I have options to tell it to clean at startup or shutdown or both…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.