Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Autofocus basics, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Your camera has an Auto Focus feature, and for most of your shots it'll provide…faster, more accurate focus than you'll achieve using manual focus;…however, Auto Focus is not completely foolproof.…You still have to use it properly to get good results, and you can learn…everything you need to know about how to get good results with autofocus in my…Foundations of Photography Exposure course.…Quick autofocus overview here:…After I frame my shot, I need to press my shutter button halfway down.…
There is a halfway point that I can feel.…When I do that, a lot of things happen.…First of all, the flash popped up. The flash popped up because the camera also…metered my scene and in the process of doing that, it determined there was not…enough light, so it decided to use the flash.…It also auto-focused.…When it was done, it displayed its exposure settings--what it thinks are the…right shutter speed and aperture for this scene--in my Viewfinder.…If I let go of the button, I can see that they're also displayed back here on my LCD screen.…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
Photography Foundations: Exposure (2010)with Ben Long3h 24m Appropriate for all
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.