Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Activating Live View, part of Nikon D5100 Essential Training.
Activating live view on the 5100 is very simple.…There's this switch here labeled Lv for Live view.…I can just pull it this way and live view activates.…When it does, the rear LCD screen lights up, with all this status information…displaying and this should all be pretty familiar to you.…You can pick it apart pretty easily.…I've got auto-focus modes, and I've got white balance modes.…I've got my aperture settings and my shutter speed setting and all the normal…status information that I am used to seeing.…A couple of things are different in live view though. Notice I don't have the…normal selection of focus points, and that's because in live view, anywhere on…the screen can be a focus point.…
I can steer this box around just by using the arrow keys here. And note that it's…kind of got some inertia to it; after I hold it down for a while, it speeds up,…so I can quickly zip around the screen.…If I want to be sure that I am focused right on the end of that lens, I can put…the box right there, and then I do just what I would always do if I was taking…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Nikon Digital SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
6. Understanding Release Modes
7. Understanding Exposure Control Options
8. Learning More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Controls
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Settings
15. Retouching Images
16. Taking Care of Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.