Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video AF-assist beam firing, part of Canon 60D Essential Training.
When your camera doesn't have enough light to autofocus, it will shine some…light into your scene using this autofocus assist light here.…This is also what it flashes when you're doing red-eye reduction.…If it's not appropriate to be shining a bunch of extra light in your scene,…maybe you don't want to disturb the people you're shooting, maybe you're trying…to shoot sneaky, maybe you're shooting in a museum, or a performance, or…something, you can turn that Off with a custom function.…I'm going here into my Custom Functions menu, into Autofocus/Drive, and the…fourth option is AF-assist beam firing.…
By default it's enabled.…If I want, I can disable it.…I can also tell it to only enable if I'm using an external flash, and that will…use the external flash as a focus assist, instead of this light up here.…A lot of external flashes have an infrared assist being built into them, so I…can say, if I have an external flash attached that has that feature, only use…that for autofocus assist.…In general, you'll probably want to keep it enabled, as it is handy when you're…
- What is an SLR?
- Attaching a lens to a camera
- Deciding how many batteries and media cards are needed
- Setting Auto mode
- Changing ISO
- Changing image format and size
- Manually selecting a focus point
- Correcting exposure while shooting
- Controlling white balance
- Using a driver and self-timer
- Auto exposure bracketing
- Selecting a picture style
- Using Live View
- Shooting video
- Using custom functions, such as ISO expansion and mirror lockup
- Cleaning the camera and sensor
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting to Know Your Canon SLR
2. Shooting in Auto Mode
3. Shooting in Program Mode
4. Controlling Autofocus
5. Controlling White Balance
Using white balance presets2m 28s
6. Using Drive Mode and the Self-Timer
7. Using Exposure Control Options
8. More Playback Options
9. Shooting with Scene Modes
10. Shooting with Flash
11. Shooting with Picture Styles
12. Using Live View
13. Shooting Video
14. Customizing Menus and Functions
15. Using Custom Functions
16. Caring for Your Camera
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.