Once your image is ready to be processed in ON1 Photo Raw, you need to create a stamp layer. A stamp layer lets you make a merged copy of layers above the original ones, so you can make nondestructive changes. In this video, instructor Robert Vanelli demonstrates how to create and use stamp layers in ON1 Photo Raw.
- Now that we have our image ready for processing, what we need to do is create a stamp layer. Now, the difference between a stamp layer and merge layers, is this. Merge layers actually take both of those layers and merge them together as one, and if we want to go back and make changes, we're kind of stuck. But a stamp layer is gonna make a copy of both of those layers, and make a third layer up on top, which is a combination of these two. From there, we'll take it and we'll bring it in to our effects panel, and we'll apply some special effects just to tie everything in.
Let's get started. So, to create a stamp layer, what I wanna do is select both of our layers, and again, I did that by pressing the Shift key and selecting the bottom layer. Now, right mouse-click and from here I wanna select "New Stamp Layer". Now, the new stamp layer goes up on top, and let's rename this, and this'll be "Final Image". Good? Let's right mouse-click on it again, and we want to convert this to a smart layer.
This way, any changes we make, are always editable. Once I have it set, let's come over here, into the effects panel, and just apply a few filters to it. You must select "Add filter" and then, from here, let's select "grunge" and we're gonna dial the amount back just a bit. Good? Now we'll select another filter, and this time we'll select "tone enhance". I wanna enrich the blacks.
Good. Bring down those shadows just a touch. Adjust the highlights. Boost up the contrast, just a little bit. Great. And, one last filter, we'll add a vignette. Let's start with "Big Softy" and then from here we'll dial that back just a little bit. Great.
Now, let's look at the before and after. So, this is what we started with, and then, we just applied a few simple filters, and this is our final image. Select layers and when we're done, we back into the layers module. So by applying a smart layer on top of the stamp layer that we just created, gives us the ability to come back and do future edits.
- Planning a digital file structure
- Developing a naming convention for your files
- Importing new images to a library
- Albums, catalogs, browsing, and searching
- Developing an image
- Controlling magnification and view to examine an image
- Applying and adjusting effects
- Using smart layers
- Creating an initial mask
- Sharpening an image
- Outputting images