Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Perl 5 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] In this course, my goal was to…provide you with the basic knowledge that you need…to write Perl scripts effectively.…I've shown you the anatomy and basic syntax…of a typical Perl script so that you can be…well prepared to construct your own scripts.…How values and variables work in Perl…so that you can make use of Perl's…simple duck typing system.…How conditionals and loops work in Perl,…including Perl's unique and flexible…post-fix notation and we've covered Perl's…unique object system so you can create…good, re-usable code and even leverage…the code of others.…
We've covered a lot,…but we've really just scratched the surface…of this uniquely rich and robust scripting language.…For further study, check out the recommended…reading list on my Perl page…at perl.bw.org.…I hope you've enjoyed this course…as much as I have enjoyed creating it for you.…So, have fun, create something wonderful…with your own Perl scripts.…
Watch to learn the details of the Perl syntax, from variables, conditionals, loops, and data structures to regular expressions, functions, and references. A quick-start guide is included for experienced developers who want to get up and running with Perl 5 fast, and the entire course is recommended for both new and experienced programmers alike. Later chapters cover file handling and reusing code with Perl modules, plus Perl best coding practices.
- Understanding Perl's general syntax and the anatomy of a Perl script
- Writing statements and expressions
- Creating assignments
- Working with variables and strings
- Using data types effectively
- Defining logical flow with conditionals and loops
- Using special variables
- Using Perl operators
- Performing simple Perl programming tasks with expressions
- Matching data
- Defining and calling functions
- Using references
- Handling files in the file I/O
- Using built-in functions
- Reusing code with modules
- Coding with Perl best practices
Skill Level Intermediate
Foundations of Programming: Refactoring Codewith Simon Allardice1h 44m Intermediate
1. Setting Up
About Perl3m 36s
2. Quick Start
3. Basic Syntax
4. Values and Variables
7. Special Variables
9. Regular Expressions
11. References and Structures
12. File I/O
13. Built-In Functions
15. Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.