In this movie, you'll get an overview of regular expressions.
- [Voiceover] Regular expressions…is a pattern-matching language…used in searching and replacing strings of text.…Regular expressions became popular…in the early days of UNIX,…and they're used extensively in…common UNIX utilities, like "sed" and "awk".…Regular expressions are commonly…referred to as "Regex" or "Regexp".…Personally, I find "Regex" easier to pronounce…without the p at the end.…Perl uses regular expressions extensively,…so it's a good idea to understand them well.…
At first they may look a little intimidating,…but they're surprisingly simple…once you get a few basic concepts.…This chapter is an introduction to regular expressions,…and it's not meant to be exhaustive.…It can be useful to gain a thorough…understanding of the subject,…but in practice, a few simple techniques…will be sufficient for most purposes.…This chapter will give you the foundation…for using basic regular expressions in Perl.…For further study, I recommend…Jeffrey Friedl's excellent book,…"Mastering Regular Expressions".…
You'll find a link to the book…
Watch to learn the details of the Perl syntax, from variables, conditionals, loops, and data structures to regular expressions, functions, and references. A quick-start guide is included for experienced developers who want to get up and running with Perl 5 fast, and the entire course is recommended for both new and experienced programmers alike. Later chapters cover file handling and reusing code with Perl modules, plus Perl best coding practices.
- Understanding Perl's general syntax and the anatomy of a Perl script
- Writing statements and expressions
- Creating assignments
- Working with variables and strings
- Using data types effectively
- Defining logical flow with conditionals and loops
- Using special variables
- Using Perl operators
- Performing simple Perl programming tasks with expressions
- Matching data
- Defining and calling functions
- Using references
- Handling files in the file I/O
- Using built-in functions
- Reusing code with modules
- Coding with Perl best practices
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Setting Up
About Perl3m 36s
2. Quick Start
3. Basic Syntax
4. Values and Variables
7. Special Variables
9. Regular Expressions
11. References and Structures
12. File I/O
13. Built-In Functions
15. Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.