- View Offline
- Understanding Perl's general syntax
- Using data types effectively
- Defining and calling subroutines
- Modular and object-oriented programming
- Prefix and postfix loops and conditionals
- Performing math, manipulating strings, and working with complex data structures
- Understanding regular expressions
- Formatting code: best practices
- Exploring the new features in Perl 5.10
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, I'm Bill Weinman and I'm like to welcome you to Perl 5 Essential Training. Perl is a very flexible and powerful programming language that is well suited for variety of projects from simple scripts to complex web applications. In this course, I'll show you how to use Perl and how to take advantage of it's unique and powerful features. I'll start by giving you an overview of Perl so you can get started right away. This Perl quick start is designed for the experienced programmer who wants to leverage their existing knowledge to get up to speed quickly and with as little detail as necessary.
Then, we'll get right into the details of the language. It's Syntax and structure, conditionals, loops, operators data structures, subroutines, and regular expressions. I'll show you how to do common tasks in Perl including file IO, data bases, CGI and web development and I'll show you how to use modules to leverage your work and the work of others to get your projects done faster and with less effort. Finally, I'll walk you through some real world examples of working Perl code, so you can see how the pieces fit together and to help you get started on your own projects.
This course is intended for users who already have some programming knowledge. If you have experienced in at least one other modern programming language, this course is for you. I've been a programmer since the 70's and I've been using Perl since the early 90's. I'm glad to be able to share the knowledge and experience I've gained along the way, so that you can write better applications today. Now, let's get started with Perl 5 Essential Training.