Join John Derry for an in-depth discussion in this video The humble pencil, part of Painter 2017 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Ah, the humble pencil.…Such a simple instrument, yet capable of so much.…This simple tool can produce…an amazingly wide range of expression…based on how it is held and finessed…with your hand, wrist, and arm motion.…The Wacom tablet senses all of these motions…and Painter then translates them…into your expressive strokes.…Before jumping into painting,…it's a good idea to create a guide sketch first.…This step helps to familiarize yourself with the subject,…as well as specifically determining…how detailed you intend to take the painting.…
Because we are working in a digital environment,…we can keep the sketch isolated on its own layer.…When the painting is finished,…we can remove the guide sketch layer…leaving only the painted result.…Because I'm going to be using this in a larger piece,…I had to figure out what the dimensions should be for this,…so I've now got just this separate page, basically,…that I'm going to be painting on,…and then, later on, I'm going to transfer that painting…into the larger environment of the collage.…
- Working with a pen tablet
- Installing custom content
- Navigating the Painter interface
- Customizing your work environment
- Working with the temporal color palette
- Identifying safety nets
- Resetting brush properties
- Troubleshooting when a brush won't paint
- Drawing with Painter
- Working with bristle, special, and hard media
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/29/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover new features in Painter 2018.
1. Painting on a Computer
2. Navigating Painter’s Interface
3. Customizing Your Work Environment
5. Safety Nets and Troubleshooting
6. Drawing with Painter's Media
7. New Features in Painter 2018
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.