Join John Derry for an in-depth discussion in this video What's new in Painter 2018, part of Painter 2017 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Painter 2018 focuses on several expressive paint-oriented enhancements. The new thick paint layer and brushes improve upon Painter's Impasto technology, enabling the look and feel of thick paint with remarkable fidelity. The thick brush texture category works in conjunction with texture painting, introduced in Painter 2017, by adding 2.5D brush strokes. While we're on the subject of texture, Painter 2018 has some goodies.
Texture Synthesis piggybacks on texture painting, introduced in Painter 2017. This new tool allows you to capture and synthesize an area of a texture or document and reproduce it on a larger scale using all of the visual elements found in the input sample, and you can now fill with texture as well. Another new texture-related feature is random paper grain rotation and position, expanding on paper grain's expressive range.
One of painter's most beloved brushes, the Sargent Brush, has been updated to work on layers, providing expanded functionality, and this goes for any drip method brush. Speaking of brushes, the new Selection Brush feature enables painting a selection with any stamp-based brush, making this a highly useful workflow for creating complex selections. Painter's cloning functionality sports some useful new additions, transparency support, embedded cloning sources, texture as clone, and an improved cloning UI.
We'll dig in to all of these features in the newly added Working with Painter 2018's New Features chapter, found at the end of this course.
- Working with a pen tablet
- Installing custom content
- Navigating the Painter interface
- Customizing your work environment
- Working with the temporal color palette
- Identifying safety nets
- Resetting brush properties
- Troubleshooting when a brush won't paint
- Drawing with Painter
- Working with bristle, special, and hard media
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/29/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover new features in Painter 2018.
Painter: Painting with Particle Brusheswith John Derry48m 57s Beginner
1. Painting on a Computer
Working with a pen tablet2m 50s
2. Navigating Painter’s Interface
3. Customizing Your Work Environment
5. Safety Nets and Troubleshooting
6. Drawing with Painter's Media
7. New Features in Painter 2018
Next steps Updated1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.