Join John Derry for an in-depth discussion in this video Taking advantage of paper’s surface, part of Painter 2017 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] One of the major hallmarks…of many forms of art media is texture.…For example, part of what makes a painting…the medium we recognize and appreciate…is the presence of the underlying canvas texture…as a visual element of the painting's final surface.…The same goes for drawings on paper.…The paper surface becomes a part of what we recognize…as a pencil or pastel drawing.…Additionally, surface texture enables the ability…to vary the tonality of a medium, like chalk.…
Let's take a look at Painter's surface texture mimicry.…So in the last couple of drawings, we were using…paper texture with our various chalks and charcoals…and let's go ahead and go back to that.…This real fat chalk is a good example…that really shows off texture.…And if you remember, we were getting this kind of thing.…Now where does that texture come from?…Well, if we go up to my Materials drawer…I've got the Papers palette in here…and this is where it all happens.…
You'll see here if we open this up…we have access to a lot of textures.…
- Working with a pen tablet
- Installing custom content
- Navigating the Painter interface
- Customizing your work environment
- Working with the temporal color palette
- Identifying safety nets
- Resetting brush properties
- Troubleshooting when a brush won't paint
- Drawing with Painter
- Working with bristle, special, and hard media
Skill Level Intermediate
Painting with Particle Brushes in Painterwith John Derry49m 24s Beginner
1. Painting on a Computer
2. Navigating Painter’s Interface
3. Customizing Your Work Environment
5. Safety Nets and Troubleshooting
6. Drawing with Painter's Media
Next steps1m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.