Join John Derry for an in-depth discussion in this video Painting with Thick Paint Texture Synthesis, part of Painter 2017 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] In this video, we're going to take a look…at Painter 2018's new thick paint feature.…One of the signature techniques of traditional paint…is its thick application on the canvas,…referred to as impasto.…When dry, impasto provides texture.…The paint appears to be projecting off of the canvas.…Impasto is often associated with impressionism,…the work of van Gogh being a prime example.…Because a computer display is flat,…digital impasto effects are achieved…using a two and a half D style lighting effect…to emphasize the appearance of depth…with highlights and shadows.…
Painter's thick paint utilizes this technique…to provide a convincing illusion of depth.…Let's take a look.…Before we get started, I want to do…a little bit of housekeeping.…You may remember in the last movie…I showed you how two and a half D works,…and I created this layer to demonstrate on,…and we don't need it anymore, so let's get rid of it.…And as I've said before, as much as you can…try to keep your layer stack absent…of any unnecessary layers.…
- Working with a pen tablet
- Installing custom content
- Navigating the Painter interface
- Customizing your work environment
- Working with the temporal color palette
- Identifying safety nets
- Resetting brush properties
- Troubleshooting when a brush won't paint
- Drawing with Painter
- Working with bristle, special, and hard media
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/29/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover new features in Painter 2018.
1. Painting on a Computer
2. Navigating Painter’s Interface
3. Customizing Your Work Environment
5. Safety Nets and Troubleshooting
6. Drawing with Painter's Media
7. New Features in Painter 2018
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.