Join John Derry for an in-depth discussion in this video Drawing with hard media, part of Painter 2017 Essential Training.
- [John] Painter's hard media class of brushes includes…pencils, chalk, pastels, and crayons.…What do these forms of media all have in common?…They respond to and interact with surface texture.…So what, you say?…Well, the quality of an irregular surface like paper…or canvass, provides a distinctive visual hallmark which…we recognize these mediums by.…Take chalk for example, how much hand pressure the artist…applies to underlying texture greatly affects how the…resulting stroke will appear.…
Using light pressure, the chalk skips along the top of the…grain depositing pigment on only the peaks of the mini…mountain range beneath.…Apply hard pressure, and the pigment not only colors…the peaks, but also fills the valleys, creating solid color.…So, I'm going to use hard media here just to draw a sketch…of how I want to combine our painting with some of…the other imagery that I've collected,…and I'm going to use the sharp chalk to begin with,…let's put it in the black, and I'm going to do these on layers,…and the first thing is, this is going to be a rectangular,…
- Working with a pen tablet
- Installing custom content
- Navigating the Painter interface
- Customizing your work environment
- Working with the temporal color palette
- Identifying safety nets
- Resetting brush properties
- Troubleshooting when a brush won't paint
- Drawing with Painter
- Working with bristle, special, and hard media
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/29/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover new features in Painter 2018.
1. Painting on a Computer
2. Navigating Painter’s Interface
3. Customizing Your Work Environment
5. Safety Nets and Troubleshooting
6. Drawing with Painter's Media
7. New Features in Painter 2018
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.