Join Tony Harmer for an in-depth discussion in this video Starting with a new document, part of Creating EPUBs from a Pages Document.
- When you launch pages and you're ready to start a new document, you should get this template chooser which allows you to base your document on a preexisting template. If you don't see that, then simply go to the file menu and choose new, and then the template chooser should appear. And there are loads of really exciting looking things in there. You can see there's stationery, flyers and posters, and cards and all sorts of other things.
But the tab we're interested in here is this one, Basic, on the left-hand side. And from those three, it's actually Blank that we're after. None of the others that use sort of a layout mode will really be any good in this form of EPUB. So this is kind of where we start. If I double-click on that, my new document will be created in pages. And there's something I can do here straightaway that will help me out later on.
And that's to remove the headers and footers option. You'll see that if I mouse over the header area like so, that bar appears, and as we've already discussed, we don't need any of those in our EPUB. I can come over to the document tab on the right-hand side, and then just deselect header and footer like so. And then I can start to get to work on the styles that I'll need for this document so I can build my own template. And that's what we're going to be covering in the next few movies.
- Building paragraph and character styles
- Creating a template
- Adding a table of contents
- Adding images, audio, video, and links
- Adding a book cover
- Converting footnotes and endnotes
- Exporting to EPUB from a desktop or a mobile device