Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an object?, part of Object-Oriented Programming with PHP.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this chapter, I'm going to introduce some key concepts about…object-oriented programming.…Starting with what objects are, I'll then define classes.…Like any technique, it's good to know why you should use object-oriented…programming. And, there are a number of reasons.…Finally, I will give a little history of object-oriented PHP, as it's evolved…quite a bit over the years.…If I were to define object-oriented programming as programming with objects,…that wouldn't be very helpful at all.…Instead, I'll start small, and build up.…In computer science, a primitive data type is a basic, simple type of data…provided by a programming language.…
Think of it as a building block, as larger, more complex structures can be…built using primitives.…Some examples of primitives in PHP include Booleans, which are a logical data…type containing either True or False; integers, which are a numeric data type…that holds a whole number without any fractions.…Examples include -6 and 42.…Getting slightly more complex are floating-point numbers.…
- Historical overview of object-oriented PHP
- Defining classes
- Creating a method/object context with $this
- Accessing classes without instantiation
- Creating a database class
- Extending and abstracting classes
- Cloning and comparing objects
- Error handling with exceptions
- Implementing design patterns, such as the factory and strategy patterns
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
2. Creating Your First Object
3. Overloading with Magic Methods
Overloading property access6m 37s
4. Accessing Classes without Instantiation
5. Class Relationships and Interactions
6. Built-In PHP Objects
Customizing PHP exceptions4m 23s
7. Design Patterns
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.