Learn how to build APIs using Slim. Go from concept to implementation in days, not months, with this efficient PHP micro framework.
- [Instructor] Hello, and welcome to building APIs in Slim. In this course, will start from a simple API specification, and begin building a useful API. We'll talk about everything from URL routes, and validating input, to generating HTTP response codes, and hypermedia payloads. Now generally, most developers will try to do this in one big step, going from no API whatsoever to a complete solution that solves every imagined problem. In my experience, that never works. First, there are requirements and information that you just don't have at the beginning of the project, but more importantly, your own understanding of the underlying problem, as the tools available, improves over time.
Therefore, we're going to approach this project the same way I recommend you approach every project, iteratively.
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.