Provides a lesson plan for PHP developers that want to pass on their skills to children/students who want to start programming with PHP.
- [Voiceover] Hi, my name is Mark Niemann-Ross. This course, Teach Kids Programming with PHP is different than all of the other courses at lynda.com. Our other courses are built around the idea that you want to learn something. We've designed this course so that you can leverage your existing PHP knowledge and use it to help a student navigate through basics of the language. To do this, each chapter consists of seven parts. The first video is a teacher's guide. It's a discussion between you and I without the student.
I'll tell you what concepts we're going to cover in this chapter and forewarn you about anything unusual that may stump the student. The second video is a demonstration of some working code showing the chapter concepts in action. The third video is Check it Out. It encourages you and the student to play with the code and provide suggestions for interesting things to change. The fourth video is a lecture for both of you to watch together, explaining the facts behind the chapter concepts.
The fifth video builds on basic chapter concepts with advanced information. The sixth video introduces a challenge. Use what you know to work through a solution. There is no single correct answer. Focus on the process. Finally, the seventh video presents my suggested solution. This course won't teach everything about programming, but I hope it provides you and your student with a starting point, and possibly a direction for further learning.
- Teacher's Guide: Introduces the concepts in the chapter and preps the adult on places where the student might get stuck
- Try It: Immediately engages the student, showing working code in action
- Check It Out: Encourages the adult and student to engage with and edit some existing code
- The Facts: A lecture for the student to watch
- Extend It: An exploration of expanded and extended concepts
- Challenge: A hands-on coding challenge for the student
- Solution: A step-by-step solution presented by the author
This course, in essence, acts as a lesson plan to help you teach PHP to a beginner. Its structured curriculum supports those who have a solid understanding of PHP, but don't necessarily know how to teach PHP effectively to kids.