Join Kevin Skoglund for an in-depth discussion in this video UTC and time zone offsets, part of Easy PHP Projects: Time Zone Conversion.
- [Voiceover] In this movie, we'll learn how computers…work with and represent time zones.…In computers, the standard time we use is called UTC.…That stands for Coordinated Universal Time.…I know, the order of the letters in the abbreviation…doesn't match the order of those words.…The abbreviation was a political compromise.…I usually thing of UTC as being Universal Time Coordinated,…but that's actually incorrect.…It's Coordinated Universal Time.…It was created in 1960 and it is based…on Greenwich Mean Time.…
So as a shorthand, you can just think of UTC…as being equal to GMT, but it's a little different,…because it coordinates the time…between many different countries,…and it combines scientific observations…about atomic time and also astronomical observation.…So you can think of UTC as being Greenwich Mean Time…plus international agreement and more technical precision.…So that's what we're going to use for computers.…It's the most precise time that we have to work with.…Now the way that we write UTC is usually by having…
- Understanding the history and purpose of time zones
- Setting a default time zone in PHP
- Using the PHP DateTime and DateTimeZone classes
- Working with daylight saving time transitions
- Allowing users to select their time zone
- Displaying times in the user's preferred time zone
- Calculating the current times of major cities
- Creating a complete time zone calculator
Skill Level Beginner
1. About Time Zones
2. Default Time Zone
3. Working with Time Zones in PHP
4. User Time Zone Selection
5. Respect the User's Time Zone
6. Current World Times
7. Time Zone Calculator
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.